Wednesday, January 26, 2011

'Wichcraft - Madison Square Park (the menus are all the same)

Allllright, I found pictures of two of my favorite sammiches at the 'wichcraft (not pictured: frittata with tomato coulis which is also awesome)
This one to the left here is the grilled cheddar with ham, pear and mustard. the ingredients in this one are amazing but everytime i order it I'm gambling. It can be at times a teensy weensy bit charred beyond recognition. But do not, i repeat, DO NOT, ask them to go a bit lighter on the panini press because it will no longer be a grilled sandy at all. the cheese will not melt, the pears will sit listlessly wondering where all the heat is? Why aren't I squished sensually against the ham and cheddar, caressed by the mustard? Much better to take your chances because 4 times out of 10 it will be grilled to perfection and when its burnt just remember how much you like those flaming marshmallows from the campfire after you've snuffed out the fire with your graham cracker. I don't fault the culinary wizards at the craft for the inconsistency, they're busy yo and they crank out some delectables in record time.

THIS SANDWICH IS DIVINE. What you see here is the pole caught tuna with thinly sliced lemon and fennel and an olive tapenade. Fennel, who knew. Fennel should get married to lemon and tuna because they are just perfect for each other. The downside of this sandwich is that it falls out of the bread. alot. This is why yesterday I got the pole caught tuna over greens and it was great that way because i could stab every morsel with my fork and believe me i did.

I have to knock on Mr. Colicchio's choice to winterize the menu in one instance! The roasted turkey avocado grapefruit with kalamata olive vinaigrette salad was perfect. The choice to replace the grapefruit with bacon was the opposite of perfect!! bacon does not winter make! Even a winter fruit would be ok but you totally and irrevocably (unless you change it back) changed the makeup and weight of the salad. How about a tangerine? that's a winter fruit. change up the vinaigrette if you have to but god damn, bacon? There are other dishes on the menu with bacon, give me my fruit! Also the new mozz/butternut squash/brown butter is seriously lacking in flavor and made me feel like an old lady without her dentures in eating it.

On the whole 'Wichcraft is a stellar institution. The $1 oatmeal sandwich cookie with caramel filling makes for a delish treat too. They're all over the place but the one i go to is on 20th btw 5th and Broadway NYC.

3 comments:

  1. You were charitable to not mention the true failure that was the mozzarella and butternut squash. Even a place as good as wichcraft can't hit them out of the park every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I missed that line because I skimmed the section that I thought was about salads! (I will likely never order a salad there. I just can't bring myself to.)

    ReplyDelete