Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pillow Cafe- Clinton Hill BK

Pillow is the neighborhood joint I would hang out in and probably work in if I were self employed again and in my neighborhood more than 2 days a week. That said, sometimes I'm too lazy or cheap to walk all the way up the street for Pillow and instead I go for its more affordable and less interesting though certainly solid neighbor Square Root at Classon. 
Pillow is run and I assume owned by two very kind women that I have meant to introduce myself to many times. One works the coffee and drinks, the other works the line. Its a cute neighborhood cafe and there are a few things that really stand out.  
Spiked lemon ginger tea: I love that this is served in a clear mug. I need to get some clear mugs. They really add to my tea drinking pleasure. And this is a beautiful drink. They use lemon bits and ginger bits and honey and whiskey if that's your thing (its mine). Each ingredient forms a layer and the color of the water becomes golden and warm. I could easily guzzle 2 or 3 of these but I only ever get one because the place is cash only.  Things I like to eat...

Garden Bagel: I've gotten the ingredients to make this at home because I think its a grade a combo of edible items. The bagel: I'm an everything or sesame fan, cream cheese OR their homemade artichoke cream cheese which I haven't tried because i'm afraid to mess with the chemistry of the already perfect garden bagel, tomato, lettuce, red onion, cucumber, pesto. Its the pesto and the cream cheese that really set off the dish, that's right i called it a dish.

Bacon Burrito/Veggie Burrito: Ole! This is a very good breakfast burrito! I like that most of what they serve comes with greens because you can feel like you're getting a little roughage palate cleanser. This one also comes with guac and sour cream.  The bacon burrito has a hell of a lot of bacon. Maybe a bit too much bacon for me.  If I were to design my own version of this burrito I would put the two into one and have the broccoli/pico burrito with maybe one strips worth of bacon in there. They don't do substitutions at Pillow though. I applaud this. Yes I have my preferences but doesn't the integrity of the chef mean something? And people go so far with substitutions its absurd. As a server I can tell you that substitutions just mean time and irritation.

I usually settle on the veggie scramble at Pillow, lots of broccoli, I LOVE BROCCOLI. little toast, some potatoes that I'm indifferent to but always eat anyway...UPDATE it appears Veggie Scramble is not on the menu, at least the online menu. Get the Burrito and take the shell off, same thing.

Pillow is located at 505 Myrtle Avenue in Clinton Hill BK near Hall St. You would think it would be a big Pratt hangout but I don't know where Pratt kids hang out because I only see them in twos and threes around the neighborhood. Maybe they have a secret lair.

No comments:

Post a Comment