Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kuma Inn - My fledgling review

What better place to start than with the best meal I've had in my whole life. I have no memory whatsoever so I can say this with complete conviction! These are items we ate and I'll take it from there: steamed edamame with thai basil-lime oil, drunken spicy shrimp finished with sake, kalamansi and thai chilies, grilled salmon, potato hash, and coconut rice.
First off this place is byob which is fucking rad! I don't know if there's going back for me to paying too much for alcohol and practicing wallet-careful moderation. I know this will seriously limit my dining options but what is better than byob? I'm highly enthused about the concept which is in no way new but hasn't captured my attention until recently. We brought Prosecco. And because the place is very tiny we had to wait for a bit to be seated but listen to how nice the host was:

They uncorked our Prosecco and gave us glasses while we sat in chairs on the waiting wall and after about 10 minutes they brought us a bowl of the edamame described above. Edamame is generally like peanuts at a bar to me. I am indifferent except for their ability to calm my hunger, whats to like? BUT THIS EDAMAME IS DIFFERENT. I have now said multiple times to multiple people that I wanted to pour the oil into a glass and drink it. I did manage to almost pour some onto some girls sitting next to us when our table became available because i had already consumed a few glasses of the bubbly.

Next up was the drunken shrimp. I would have loved to be a little shrimpy swimming in this sauce because that's how tasty it was. The salmon was awesome too and anything with the word coconut automatically makes me happy. Potato hash, Yes Yes Oh my dear lord!

Another thing I like about Kuma Inn is that there were kids sitting at one table that were holding up the turnover and i joked that they shouldn't let kids eat there to which the host responded - we don't encourage it, we have no high chairs or booster seats. Very very good Kuma Inn, no offense kids.

And look how unassuming the place is! We planned to go downstairs to the bulgarian bar thats supposed to be a wild time but the line was a little out of control for 10 degree weather. oh...Kuma Inn is on 113 Ludlow in LES NYC. Near Delancey.

No comments:

Post a Comment